Dr. Vikram Vishal
Department of Earth Sciences, IIT Bombay
Adjunct Senior Lecturer
Department of Civil Engineering, Monash University, Australia
Interdisciplinary Programme in Climate Studies, IIT Bombay
Phone : +91-22-2576 7254 (O)
v.vishal [at] iitb.ac.in
Recipient of National Award – 2012 & 2017Research Interest
- Reservoir Geomechanics
- Unconventional Petrophysics
- Carbon Sequestration
- Engineering Geology
- GS 318 Applied Geology for Civil Engineers – B.Tech. (Civil Engineering) – 3rd year
- GS 507 Engineering & Groundwater Geology – M.Sc. (Applied Geology and Applied Geophysics) – 2nd year
- GP 519 Engineering Geology & Groundwater Laboratory – M.Sc. (Applied Geophysics) – 2nd year
- GS 539 Engineering Geology & Groundwater Laboratory – M.Sc. (Applied Geology) – 2nd year
- GS 681 Underground Excavation Technology – M.Tech. (Geoexploration) – 1st year & Ph.D.
- GS 709 Reservoir Geomechanics – M.Tech. (Petroleum Geosciences) – 1st year & Ph.D. (Introduced)
- GS 832 Geologic Carbon Storage and Enhanced Oil Recovery – PhD (Introduced)
Courses Instructed at IIT Roorkee:
- ES-431 Geohazard Management – Integrated M.Tech. – 4th year & M. Tech. 2nd year
- ES-206 Geomorphology – Integrated M.Tech. – 2nd year
- ES-201 Basic Petrology – Integrated M.Tech. – 2nd year
- ES-620 Reservoir Geomechanics – M.Sc. – 2nd year (Introduced)
- Post-doctoral Research, 2014-2015
Stanford University, California, USA (Energy Resources Engineering)
- PhD (Geomechanics), 2010-2012
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (Earth Sciences) and Monash University, Australia (Civil Engineering)
- M.Sc. (Applied Geology), 2007-2009
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- B.Sc. (Geology Honours), 2004-2007
Presidency College, University of Calcutta, Kolkata
· Associate Professor, Jul 2019 – Present
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai
· Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Feb 2019 – Present
Department of Civil Engineering, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
· Assistant Professor, Jan 2016 – Jul 2019
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai
· Adjunct Lecturer, May 2017 – Jan 2019
Department of Civil Engineering, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
· Fulbright Post-doctoral Fellow, Dec 2014 – Dec 2015
Stanford University, California, USA
· DST Inspire Faculty, Oct 2013 – Jan 2016
Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Uttarakhand
· Post-doctoral Fellow, Jan – Oct, 2013
CSIR – Central Institute of Mine and Fuel Research, Dhanbad
· Manager (Geology), Jul – Dec, 2009
Natural Resources Division, Tata Steel, Jamshedpur
- Carbon capture, utilization and storage (CCUS) – A roadmap for India, Technology Information Forecasting and Assessment Council, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India (co-author), May, 2018
- Landslide vulnerability atlas of Rishikesh-Kedarnath highway, Uttarakhand, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India (co-author), December, 2019
- S. P. Pradhan, V. Vishal, T. N. Singh, 2018, Landslides: Theory, Practice and Modelling, Springer (Edited), ISBN 978-3-319-77377-3
- V. Vishal, T. N. Singh, 2016, Geologic carbon sequestration: Understanding reservoir behaviour, Springer (Edited), (Foreword by Prof. C. N. R. Rao), ISBN 978-3-319-27019-7
Link to Geologic Carbon Sequestration
- B. Mahanta, V. Vishal, 2020, CO2 sequestration and enhanced coalbed methane recovery: worldwide status and Indian scenario, Applied Geology: Approaches to Future Resource Management, Springer (Edited by Tiwari and De Maio), ISBN 978-3-030-43952-1, pp. 161-181.
- J. C. Pashin, S. P. Pradhan, V. Vishal, 2018, Formation damage in coalbed methane recovery, Formation damage during improved oil recovery, Elsevier (Edited by Yuan and Wood), ISBN 9780128137826, pp. 499-514
- T. Siddique, S. P. Pradhan, V. Vishal, 2018, Rockfall: A specific case of landslide, Landslides: Theory, Practice and Modelling, Springer (Edited by Pradhan, Vishal and Singh), ISBN 978-3-319-77377-3
- V. Vishal, A. Sudhakaran, A.K. Tiwari, S.P. Pradhan, T.N. Singh, 2016, A review summary of hydro-mechanical changes in coal due to CO2 flow, Geologic carbon sequestration, Springer (Edited by Vishal and Singh), ISBN: 978-3-319-27019-7, pp. 161 – 182.
- P. García del Real, V. Vishal, 2016, Mineral sequestration, Geologic carbon sequestration, Springer (Edited by Vishal and Singh) ISBN: 978-3-319-27019-7, pp. 213 – 229
- R. S. Potdar, V. Vishal, 2016, Deep saline aquifers: Ideal reservoirs for safe, long-term CO2 storage, Geologic carbon sequestration, Springer (Edited by Vishal and Singh) ISBN: 978-3-319-27019-7, pp. 47 – 58
- V. Vishal, S. P. Pradhan, T. N. Singh, P. G. Ranjith, 2015, Real term implications of carbon sequestration in coal seams, Carbon Capture, Storage and Utilization, (Edited by M. Goel et al.) TERI Press, ISBN: 978-81-7993-568-2, pp. 249-256.
- S. P. Pradhan, V. Vishal, T. N. Singh, 2015, Study of slopes along River Teesta in Darjeeling Himalayan region, Engineering Geology for Society and Territory, (Edited by G. Lollino et. al), Springer Publishers, ISBN 978-3-319-09299-7, pp. 517-520
- V. Vishal, S. P. Pradhan, T. N. Singh, 2015, Analysis of stability of slopes in Himalayan terrane along National Highway: 109, India, Engineering Geology for Society and Territory, (Edited by G. Lollino et. al), Springer, ISBN 978-3-319-09299-7, pp. 511-516
- V. Vishal, T. N. Singh, 2014, Coal seam sequestration with enhanced coal bed methane recovery in India, Sustainable Environment and the Role of Clean Coal Energy, (Edited by S. Gupta and S. K. Mangal), CRRID Press, ISBN: 9788185825713, pp. 155-164
- V. Vishal, P. G. Ranjith, T. N. Singh, 2014, Geomechanical attributes of reconstituted Indian coals under carbon dioxide saturation, Rock Mechanics for Resources, Energy and Environment, (Edited by M. Kwasniewski, D. Lydzba), CRC Press, ISBN: 9781482229073, pp. 171-173
- V. Vishal, T. N. Singh, 2014, Sorption behaviour of deep seated coal: A geo-engineering approach to carbon dioxide sinking, Recent Advances in Civil Engineering, (Edited by Dwivedi et al.), IIT BHU, ISBN 978-81-921121-0-7, pp. 22-26.
Select Journal Papers:
- V. Vishal, Y. Verma, D. Chandra, D. Ashok, 2021, A systematic capacity assessment and classification of geologic CO2 storage systems in India, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. Vol. 111, Art. 103458, doi: 10.1016/j.ijggc.2021.103458
- V. Vishal, D. Chandra, U. Singh, Y. Verma, 2021, Understanding initial opportunities and key challenges for CCUS deployment in India at scale, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, Vol. 175, Art. 105829, doi: 10.1016/j.resconrec.2021.105829
- D. Chandra, V. Vishal, 2021. A critical review on pore to continuum scale imaging techniques for enhanced shale gas recovery. Earth-Science Reviews, Vol.217, Art.103638., doi: 10.1016/j.earscirev.2021.103638
- B. Mahanta, V. Vishal, N. Sirdesai, P. G. Ranjith, T.N. Singh, 2021, Progressive deformation and pore network attributes of sandstone at in-situ stress states using computed tomography. Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 252, Art. 107833, doi: 10.1016/j.engfracmech.2021.107833
- Y. Verma, V. Vishal, Ranjith P. G., 2021, Sensitivity analysis of geomechanical constraints in CO2 storage to screen potential sites in deep saline aquifers, Frontiers in Climate – Negative Emissions Technologies. Vol. 3, Pp. 115, doi: 10.3389/fclim.2021.720959
- D. Chandra, V. Vishal, J. Bahadur, D. Sen, 2020, A novel approach to identify accessible and inaccessible pores in gas shales using combined low-pressure sorption and SAXS/SANS analysis, International Journal of Coal Geology, Vol. 228, Art. 103556, doi: 10.1016/j.coal.2020.103556.
- D. Chandra, T. Bakshi, V. Vishal, 2021. Thermal effect on pore characteristics of shale under inert and oxic environments: Insights on pore evolution. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, Vol. 316, Art. 110969, doi: 10.1016/j.micromeso.2021.110969
- T. Bakshi, V. Vishal, 2021, A review on the role of organic matter in gas adsorption in shale, Energy and Fuels, Vol. 35, pages. 15249–15264., doi. 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.1c01631
- D. Singh, D. Chandra, V. Vishal, B. Hazra, P. Sarkar, 2021 Impact of degassing time-temperature on estimation of pore attributes in shale, Energy and Fuels, Vol. 35, Pp. 15628−15641, doi: 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.1c02201
- D. Lall, V. Vishal, M. V. Lall, P.G. Ranjith, 2021, The role of heterogeneity in gas production and the propagation of dissociation front using thermal stimulation and huff and puff in gas hydrate reservoirs, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. Vol. 208, Art. 109320., doi: 10.1016/j.petrol.2021.109320
- B. Hazra, V. Vishal, D. P. Singh, 2021, Applicability of low-pressure CO2 and N2 adsorption in determining pore attributes of organic-rich shales and coals, Energy and Fuels, Vol. 35, Pp: 456–464, doi: 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.0c03412
- V. Vishal, D. Lall, S. Sarna, A. Sharma, P.G. Ranjith, 2020, Sensitivity analysis of methane hydrate bearing Class 3 reservoirs during thermal injection, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol. 195, Art. 107575, doi: 10.1016/j.petrol.2020.107575.
- D. Chandra, V. Vishal, 2020, A comparison of nano-scale pore attributes of Barakar Formation gas shales from Raniganj and Wardha Basin, India using low pressure sorption and FEG-SEM analysis, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, Vol. 81, Art. 103453, doi: 10.1016/j.jngse.2020.103453.
- D. Chandra, V. Vishal, A. Debbarma, S. Banerjee, S.P. Pradhan, M.K. Mishra, 2020, Role of composition and depth on pore attributes of Barakar Formation gas shales of Ib valley, India, using a combination of low-pressure sorption and image analysis, Energy & Fuels, Vol 34, pp. 8085-8098, doi: 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.0c00746.
- B. Mahanta, V. Vishal, P. G. Ranjith, T.N. Singh, 2020, An insight into pore-network models of high-temperature heat-treated sandstones using computed tomography, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, Vol. 77, Art. 103227, doi: 10.1016/j.jngse.2020.103227
- B. Ermias, V. Vishal, 2020, Application of artificial intelligence for prediction of swelling potential of clay-rich soils, Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, Vol. 38, Pp: 6189-6205, doi: 10.1007/s10706-020-01427-x.
- B. Mahanta, P.G. Ranjith, V. Vishal, T.N. Singh, 2020, Temperature-induced deformational responses and microstructural alteration of sandstone, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol. 192. Pp: 107239., doi: 10.1016/j.petrol.2020.107239
- T. Siddique, S.P. Pradhan, V. Vishal, T.N. Singh, 2020, Applicability of Q-slope method in the Himalayan road cut rock slopes and its comparison with CSMR, Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, Vol. 53, Pp:4509-4522, doi: 10.1007/s00603-020-02176-2.
- T. Bakshi, V. Vishal, B.K. Prusty, K. Pathak, 2020, Carbon dioxide and methane sorption characteristics of Damodar Valley and Upper Assam shale, India, Energy and Climate Change, Art. 100002, doi: 10.1016/j.egycc.2020.100002
- A. K. Sahoo, S. Basu, V. Vishal, M. Srivastava, 2020, Hierarchical clustering of pristane and phytane data to identify the sweet spots in the shale gas reservoirs, Energy and Climate Change, Art. 100011, doi: 10.1016/j.egycc.2020.100011
- V. Vishal, D. Chandra, J. Bahadur, D. Sen, B. Hazra, B. Mahanta, D Tiwari, 2019, Interpreting pore dimensions in gas shales using a combination of SEM imaging, small angle neutron scattering and low pressure gas adsorption, Energy and Fuels, Vol. 33(6), pp. 4835-4848.
- R. Holmes, H. Aljamaan, V. Vishal, J Wilcox, A. Kovscek, 2019, Idealized shale sorption isotherm measurements to determine pore capacity, pore size distribution, and surface area, Energy and Fuels, Vol. 33 (2), pp. 665-676.
- V. Vishal, B. Mahanta, S. P. Pradhan, T. N. Singh, P. G. Ranjith, 2018, Simulation of CO2 enhanced coalbed methane recovery in Jharia coalfields, India. Energy, Vol. 159, pp. 1185-1194
- S. N. Pandey, V. Vishal, A. Chaudhuri, 2018, Geothermal reservoir modeling in coupled thermo-hydro-mechanical-chemical approach: a review, Earth Science Reviews, Vol. 185, pp. 1157-1169.
- B. Hazra, D. A. Wood, V. Vishal, A. K. Varma, D. Sakha, A. K. Singh, 2018, Porosity controls and fractal disposition of organic-rich Permian shales using low-pressure adsorption techniques. Fuel, Vol. 220, pp. 837-848.
- B. Hazra, D. A. Wood, V. Vishal, A. K. Singh, 2018, Pore-characteristics of distinct thermally mature shales: influence of particle sizes on low pressure CO2 and N2 adsorption. Energy and Fuels, Vol. 32, pp. 8175−8186.
- S. P. Pradhan, V. Vishal, T. N. Singh, 2018, Finite element modelling of landslide prone slopes around Rudraprayag and Agastyamuni in Uttarakhand Himalayan terrain, Natural Hazards, Vol 94, pp. 181–200.
- V. Vishal, 2017, Saturation time dependency of liquid and supercritical CO2 permeability of bituminous coals: Implications for carbon storage, Fuel, Vol 192, pp. 201-207.
- V. Vishal, 2017, Insitu disposal of CO2: Liquid and supercritical CO2 permeability in coal at multiple down-hole stress conditions, Journal of CO2 Utilization, Vol 17, pp. 235-242.
- S. N. Pandey, V. Vishal, 2017, Sensitivity analysis of coupled processes and parameters on the performance of enhanced geothermal systems, Scientific Reports, Vol. 7, Article 17057.
- P. Psarras, R. Holmes, V. Vishal, J. Wilcox, 2017, Methane and CO2 adsorption capacities of kerogen in the Eagle Ford shale from molecular simulation, Accounts of Chemical Research, Vol. 50 (8), pp. 1818-1828
- R. Holmes, E. Rupp, V. Vishal, J. Wilcox, 2017, Selection of shale preparation protocol and outgas procedures for applications in low-pressure analysis, Energy and Fuels, Vol 31 (9), pp 9043–9051
- H. Aljamaan, R. Holmes, V. Vishal, R. Haghpanah, J Wilcox, A. Kovscek, 2017, CO2 storage and flow capacity measurements on idealized shales from dynamic breakthrough experiments, Energy and Fuels, Vol 31 (2), pp. 1193–1207.
- V. Vishal, T. Siddique, Rohan Purohit, Mohit K. Phophliya, S. P. Pradhan, 2017, Hazard assessment in rockfall prone Himalayan slopes along National Highway – 58, India: Rating and Simulation, Natural Hazards, Vol 85, pp. 487-503.
- T. Siddique, S. P. Pradhan, V. Vishal, T. N. Singh, 2017, Stability assessment of Himalayan road cut slopes along National Highway-58, India, Environmental Earth Sciences, Vol. 76, pp. 1-18.
- L.K. Sharma, V. Vishal, T.N. Singh, 2017, Predicting CO2 permeability of bituminous coal using statistical and adaptive neuro-fuzzy analysis, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, Vol 42, pp. 216-255.
- L.K. Sharma, V. Vishal, T.N. Singh, 2017, Developing novel models using neural networks and fuzzy systems for the estimation of strength of rocks from key geomechanical properties, Measurement, Vol. 102, pp. 158-169.
- B. Mahanta, A Tripathy, V. Vishal, T.N. Singh, P.G. Ranjith, 2017, Effects of strain rate on fracture toughness and energy release rate of gas shales, Engineering Geology, Vol 218, pp. 39-49.
- D.G. Roy, V. Vishal, T. N. Singh, 2016, Effect of carbon dioxide sequestration on the mechanical properties of Deccan basalt, Environmental Earth Sciences, Vol 75(9), pp. 1-13.
- V. Vishal, T. N. Singh, P. G. Ranjith, 2015, Influence of sorption time in CO2-ECBM process in Indian coals: numerical simulation, Fuel, Vol 139, pp. 51-58.
- V. Vishal, P. G. Ranjith, T. N. Singh, 2015, An experimental investigation on behaviour of coal under fluid saturation, using acoustic emission, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, Vol 22, pp. 428-436.
- A.S. Ranathunga, M.S.A. Perera, P.G. Ranjith, Y. Ju, V. Vishal, P.N.K. De Silva, 2015, A macro- scale experimental study of sub-and super-critical CO2 flow behaviour in Victorian brown coal, Fuel, Vol. 158, pp. 864-873.
- T. Siddique, M. M. Alam, M. E. A. Mondal, V. Vishal, 2015, Slope mass rating and kinematic analysis of slopes along the national highway-58 near Jonk, Rishikesh, India. Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Vol. 7 (5), pp. 600-606.
- V. Vishal, L. Singh, S. P. Pradhan, T. N. Singh, P. G. Ranjith, 2013, Numerical modeling of Gondwana coal seams in India as coalbed methane reservoirs substituted for carbon dioxide sequestration, Energy, Vol 49, pp. 384-394.
- V. Vishal, P. G. Ranjith, T. N. Singh, 2013, CO2 permeability of Indian bituminous coals: Implications for carbon sequestration, International Journal of Coal Geology, Vol 105, pp. 36-47.
- V. Vishal, P. G. Ranjith, S. P. Pradhan, T. N. Singh, 2013, Permeability of sub-critical carbon dioxide in naturally fractured Indian bituminous coal at a range of down-hole stress conditions, Engineering Geology, Vol 167, pp. 148-156.
- K. Sarkar, V. Vishal, T. N. Singh, 2012, An empirical correlation of index geomechanical parameters with the compressional wave velocity, Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, Vol 30, pp. 469-479.
- R. Singh, V. Vishal, T. N. Singh, Ranjith P.G., 2012, A comparative study of Generalized Regression Neural Network Approach and Adaptive Neuro-Fuzzy Inference Systems for prediction of unconfined compressive strength of rocks, Neural Computing and Applications, Vol 23, pp. 499-506.
- R. Singh, V. Vishal, T. N. Singh, 2012, Soft computing method for assessment of compressional wave velocity, Scientia Iranica – Transactions in Civil Engineering, Vol 19 (4), pp. 1018–1024.
- V. Vishal, S. P. Pradhan, T. N. Singh, 2011, Tensile strength of rock under elevated temperatures, Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, Vol 29, pp. 1127-1133.
- V. Vishal, 2007, Coal Bed Methane: An Introduction, Indian Journal of Earth Sciences, Vol. 33 (1-4), pp. 76 – 79.